How to Get a Summer Body: Stay Hydrated!
Keeping yourself properly hydrated should be the first step on your list when learning how to get a summer body! And it isn’t just for the weight loss benefits…
The best way to get in shape for summer is to take it one step at a time. Bottom line. We’ve all fell into the trap of fad diets, and we all know that the results we get are short-lived.
If you follow our step-by-step guide in steps, then you’ll not only get the summer body that you’ve been dreaming of, but you’ll never have to work for it again.
That’s right. It’s yours forever!
So, why is hydration so important?
First off, it’s an easy one to start with. Assuming you want to follow all of our steps to get in shape for summer, this one will be a great start to getting into the right healthy habits.
And by this, we mean learning the secrets behind learning how to get a summer body, and what it takes to stick it out to the end.
There are actually a few reasons, so let’s take a quick look.
- Water is great for boosting your metabolism and keeping hunger at bay
- Switching sugary drinks for water will reduce your caloric intake as well as helping you to consume less saturated fat (which is the biggest contributor to belly fat!)
- It’s great for your overall health and will make you feel more alert and energised
- It reduces the chances of headaches and kidney stones… you can’t complain at that!
If we don’t have you convinced yet (we know, some of you aren’t keen on plain water), here are some tips on making hydration a little more interesting when learning how to get a summer body.
One thing to do is get an infuser water bottle. With one of these, you can make your own flavoured water with fruit which will encourage you to drink more!
You can get them for as cheap as £3 online, or in your local supermarket.
Fresh fruits like strawberries, berries, oranges, lemons, limes, etc. work really well, so there’s plenty of choice.
If you struggle to cut out caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee, then you can always try green tea or herbal tea to substitute some of your daily intakes!
How much water should I drink?
The short answer is around 2-4 litres per day. This is a safe amount and certainly enough to maintain a good level of hydration. If you have a high activity level, then you should stick to the higher end of this amount.
Summer Body Diet
If you want to know how to get a summer body, then this is the area that you need to focus on the most.
Ever been discouraged by dieting? The truth is, we all have. That’s why you’ll be glad to know that our summer body diet tips don’t involve starving yourself or living off meal replacement shakes.
With the right summer body diet you’ll find the foods that suit you and your lifestyle, and a lifestyle is exactly what it will turn into.
It needs to be sustainable to work. You might shed the pounds on a fad diet, but you can be certain that they’ll climb back on as soon as you cave in.
Nutrition, a.k.a a summer body diet counts for 80% of your progress when getting in shape, and that leaves exercise with 20%. Most people are shocked by this, but it’s true!
This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t commit to a summer body workout routine, which we’ll go through later in this article. It means that nutrition is the first aspect to nail, and the one that has the most impact.
You can do 1000 pushups, but you won’t lose much body fat if you go and eat everything you can afterwards. With our help you’ll know how to get a summer body fast, and how to maintain it!
How many times a day should I eat?
With all of the conflicting information out there, it can be hard to gauge how many meals you should eat per day.
When it comes to finding out how to get a summer body, you would assume that the amount of meals that you eat affects the overall progress or outcome.
The truth is that there is no solid evidence to suggest this!
What we do know about how often we should be eating is that there are benefits to both of the most popular methods, which are eating 3 meals per day, or eating 5-6 smaller meals.
3 meals per day are seen as the optimal option for many people who have worked to lose or gain weight.
This is mainly because they have 3 larger, filling meals and don’t want to be tempted to eat more than they need to on a particular day.
Some feel that scattering calories leaves them feeling unsatisfied, and that 3 larger meals with some snacks on exercise days is the way to go.
5-6 smaller meals per day are rumoured to speed up your metabolism. This is because you are eating more often, and so your body seemingly has to work to digest the food more regularly.
While this theory hasn’t been fully proven, there’s certainly no harm in eating this way.
As long as you stick to a healthy amount of calories for your height, weight, and fitness goals you may feel the benefits of eating more often, such as reduced cravings.
If you’re a snacker, this may be the best option for you!
Overall, the answer to ‘how many times a day should I eat?’ is completely down to what you think will work best for you and your goals. It’s probably a good idea to trial both methods and see what you prefer!
Just be sure to control your calories, macros, and portions, to make sure that you’re getting the nutrition that you need.
What portion sizes should I go for?
It’s important to get your portion sizes right from the get-go when learning how to get a summer body.
Using the info we just shared about how many meals you should eat per day, it’s safe to say that portion sizes are affected by this.
If we’re talking about a full meal, you should have around a cup/fist-sized portion of meat/protein, vegetables, and then the same in healthy carbs or wholegrain.
With the 3 meals per day plan, you would have a cup size of yoghurt or porridge etc. for breakfast, a cup of fruit added to this, and possibly a dash of flaked almonds (a source of fibre).
You would then have a cooked meal for dinner with a fist-sized portion of the three recommended food groups, and then something similar for dinner.
You may even have a whole grain sandwich with a cup of veg or salad, then some fruit on the side. The point is that your portion of each food group shouldn’t be much more than a cup serving.
With the 5 meals per day approach when coaching yourself on how to get a summer body, you would decrease these meals by a third of their size, and then add in 2-3 snacks that were palm-sized.
You may have a palmful of nuts, two small boiled eggs and some spinach, and a palmful of carrot sticks or celery as your snacks for the day.
A summer body workout without HIIT training is definitely not up to scratch in 2019.
We’re here to learn how to get a summer body fast after all and running for three hours on the treadmill isn’t going to get us there, let alone keep us motivated.
Here’s five HIIT workouts to try when learning how to get a summer body this year!
This one is great for your lower body, especially the glutes, quads, delts, and biceps. It will help to tone and tighten your legs and bottom as well as aiding your overall strength! You can never have too many squats.
- Start off in a standing position, holding the kettlebell in front of your chest by its horns
- Move down into a squat position until your thighs are parallel to the ground (or lower if you can!)
- Hold for a second
- Explode upwards keeping your weight on your heels, and push your chest out when you reach the starting position
- Repeat for 30-40 seconds
Burpees are one of the most effective bodyweight exercises that you can do. They build your strength as well as your cardiovascular health, making them a perfect addition to your summer body workout.
- Start off in a standing position, feet around hip-width apart
- Move into a squat, placing your hands beside you on the ground for stabilisation
- Kick your feet out into a raised plank, making sure your core is engaged
- Bring your legs back into the squat
- Jump with your arms and legs straight (be sure to land safely)
- Repeat for 30-40 seconds!
If you’re looking to get that core tight and toned for summer, you’re in the right place. We wouldn’t dare teach you how to get a summer body without showing you some killer core exercises!
Before trying this one, make sure you’ve got an exercise mat.
- Lie flat on your back with your arms and legs straight
- Pressing your lower back into the mat, raise your legs about 6 inches off the mat (or lower if you can’t handle it)
- Keeping your legs straight, move them in a literal ‘fluttering’ motion alternately, engaging your abs at the same time
- Repeat for 30-40 seconds!
As well as HIIT, this is something you can do either at the gym or at home. There are different types of strength training, but for now we’re going to focus on kettlebells.
Kettlebells are versatile, easy-to-use, and portable, making them perfect for a summer body workout. You can even take them to the beach!
They’re also a great way of getting in some cardio alongside building muscle mass, so you can rest assured that any extra fat stores will be well and truly torched when we’re done with you.
It’s important to remember that kettlebell swings are a hinge movement and not a squat.
They’re great for working your posterior chain muscles, which are the abs, back, glutes, and hamstrings, as well as your core. They’re classed as a full body exercise, so you can’t go wrong here!
If you want to torch fat whilst working on your conditioning and toning your entire body, kettlebell swings are a great move.
- Start off with your feet about shoulder-width apart, holding the kettlebell safely but with a loose grip
- Engage your core and squeeze your shoulder blades together, placing your weight onto your heels and bending your knees slightly
- Swing the kettlebell backwards between your legs, then up to eye-level, exploding your hips forwards to drive the kettlebell up (like a hinge)
- Be sure to keep your core engaged and to squeeze your glutes in the top position
- Use your heels and hips to drive the kettlebell forwards each time
- Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps
When learning how to get a summer body, it’s normal to want to focus on your core. However, there’s certainly no harm in directing some strength training at your arms.
After all, a summer body workout should give you results in every area!
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart
- Grip the handle of the kettlebell with both hands, wrists facing away from you
- Curl the kettlebell up towards your chin slowly, then back into the starting position (be sure to maintain tension on your biceps)
- Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Overhead Triceps Extension
Triceps are often missed out on a summer body workout routine, but they shouldn’t be overlooked. If you’re going for the toned look then triceps make the perfect addition, plus the extra muscle mass will help you burn fat!
- Grip the kettlebell by its horns, but upside down so that the bell is above your fists
- Move it slowly and safely into the overhead position
- Slowly move the kettlebell down in between your shoulder blades until you feel your triceps engage
- Extend it slowly above your head (really feel the burn!)
- Bring it back down again
- Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps
We’re not skipping on any arm workouts here!
If you want to know how to get a summer body you should definitely work your shoulders as well as the other muscles in your arms. Shoulder development is very important for other exercises too, and will certainly help you with burpees!
- Clean the kettlebell safely into the rack position
- Ensuring that your elbow is tucked into your chest and your core is engaged, move the kettlebell upwards until it’s safely in the press position
- Hold it there for a few seconds, then bring it back down keeping the tension in the movement
- Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps
How to Get a Summer Body – Get Some Sleep!
Getting your full 7-9 hours of sleep is vital when learning how to get a summer body fast. Without getting to bed at a reasonable time, the process of losing weight and/or getting fit slows down unfavourably.
Record Your Progress
You’ve nailed your summer body diet (with the odd treat), you’ve been working out endlessly, and you’re sleeping like a log.
What else could you possibly do to ensure that you know exactly how to get a summer body?
Well, there is one more thing. You may underestimate the power of it, but trust us. This is the final step in our guide on how to get a summer body, and perhaps one of the most important!
There are different ways to record your progress, and different people suit different methods.
Whatever you choose, you should record the progress that you make each week or month. This will show you the changes that you can’t physically see within the first section of your journey, and give you an incentive to work harder.
This is a great way to learn how to get a summer body fast, as you’ll work harder than you ever have before!
Here are some quick suggestions:
- Weigh yourself on the same morning each week
- Measure your waist, arms, legs, etc. each week
- Keep an outfit that doesn’t fit and try it on every week (it will get gradually looser/tighter depending on your goals!)
- Track your body fat percentage on the scales at the gym
If you try each of the methods we can almost guarantee that one will work for you!
Whilst weighing yourself on the scales is probably the most popular of these methods, it can also be a curse to those trying to learn how to get a summer body.